Sunday, December 13, 2009

Blog #4 Planning & Implementation of web 2.0 tools:

Blog #4 Planning & Implementation of web 2.0 tools:

Over the course of the last few weeks we as a class have learned about many web 2.0 tools. There are a lot of very exciting and useful tools that can be used in the classroom. The question is; how do you choose the right web2.0 tools to use and how do you implement them in the classroom?

The first thing that a teacher needs to do is their homework so to speak. The teacher needs to use the curriculum and find a web 2.0 tool that will help drive it and not the other way around. There are many web 2.0 tools that can really help to explain and help students to learn what is being taught. The teacher needs to make sure that the lesson is about the topic and not about learning a new tool in order to be successful.

The second thing is the idea of implementation. After a teacher finds the right tool, how do they implement it without it being too much for the students? Simplicity is key. The implementation needs to be laid out with one thing in mind, the objectives. What do you want you students to learn, what will they be able to do when this lesson is over?
If you stick to these objectives the implementation will go smoothly.

Through my research I found a website that helps to explain how to implement a web 2.0 tool in the classroom, check it out:
http://www.slideshare.net/ast3v3nson/session4-web20-implementation-performance-measurement
It is a little wordy but as you go through the slides there are some very good ideas for both education and web 2.0 tools in the business world.

2 comments:

Jay Halverson said...

I checked out the slideshare presentations about implementing and evaluating web 2.0 initiatives (that link hits on two fronts, the site itself and the content presented), what I take away from part of the presentation is that for most, the integration of a web 2.0 tool is going to take an investment in time, capital and organizational planning. Integrating a new business tool has the same dangers as any business initiative, it will fail without a comprehensive plan to implement and then measure the impact towards the original goal. thansk for the link.

Qiana said...

Jeremy,I agree, it is important to ask yourself,"how can I use these tools?"
I think it took me a little while in this class to see that I can use some of these tools, and this is important. It sort of changed the value I put on the Web 2.0 tools, b/c I valued them differently once I knew that i could personally use them!
I plan to use some of these tools in an upcoming role as trainer, but also plan to keep expanding myself out of work. I know that in order to stay current, I must stay on top of the vast world out there!